Oct 26, 2008

Greetings!

Rather curiously, my school placed three of my Oral English classes in Language Listening Labs, where students sat in splendid isolation, surrounded by glass on three sides, unable to converse.. The word of the day: COCOON.

We suffered through the first week, but the following week I arrived early and rummaged through the building in search of a more suitable room. Surprisingly, I discovered a classroom with movable desks, a rare arrangement in a Chinese college/university.

I returned to our classroom and proclaimed "Were outta here!"

Smile Li took photos and documented our new classroom experience.




These are freshmen Application English majors -- 40 students, all girls -- enrolled in a three year certificate program. Nearly all my students are enrolled in three year certificate programs and not four year college degree programs. The difference for the teacher? The four-yearw college students generally speak better English.



While we sat in starry-eyed amazement, our Foreign Teacher competently elucidated the difference between the words dichotomy and bifurcation

Phrase of the day: "Happy as a clam."

Be well,


Kevin




*

No comments: