Nov 7, 2005

CHAIRS by Kevin the Kamera

Chairs at the Cantonese Opera


Last night, I went to the outdoor neighborhood theater to see a Cantonese Opera. The theater is within fifty yards of my apartment. At the rear of the theater is a Buddhist temple. The opera lasted slightly more than three hours. There are scene changes but no intermission. The opera is free. The place was packed. The Chinese do not applaud. No one shouts out BRAVO! Midway through the performance two of my students come over to me to insist that I "be closer" to the opera. These two 16 year olds go to the sidedoor and tell the singers/actors that I am a foreigner and need to view the opera "very close." Sure enough! The singers/actors -- dressed in magnificent costumes -- set a stool for me on the side-stage, not ten feet from the performance. This was a most enjoyable and memorable evening.


Now for the Chairs

No comments: